Join Our Team
Spend the Summer in Stanley Park!
Theatre Under the Stars has several seasonal positions available from April – September. Our Operations Team is focussed on providing valuable and fun experiences through mentorship and teamwork. Often, we are funded by Canada Summer Job Grants, but will also have positions that do not fall under that category. Seasonal positions are, generally, posted in February or March.
Current Positions Available:
Summer Camp & Administrative Assistant
Theatre Under the Stars:
Theatre Under the Stars Musical Society (TUTS) is non-profit professional/volunteer hybrid arts producer with a mandate to present quality family entertainment in the form of full-scale musical theatre productions, and provide training opportunities in performance and production to community members and aspiring professionals. TUTS achieves this through a unique collaboration between professionals and volunteers working together in administration, performance, production and venue operations. Presented at Malkin Bowl in Stanley Park, Vancouverites have long considered TUTS a summer cultural tradition with average attendance of approximately 40,000 patrons per year.
During the summer of 2021, TUTS will not be producing our musical theatre productions due to health restrictions. We will, however, be able to offer some summer musical theatre camps. There will be 3-5 weeks of camp this year.
Traditionally, this position is offered to one of our current cast members, however, for 2021, the Summer Camp & Administrative Assistant position will be funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program and will have a broader scope of responsibilities. Working closely with both the Camp Directors and the General Manager, there will be tasks ranging from mentoring and instructing students to communication and administration in preparing for the sessions. This position will be a minimum of 6 weeks long at 35 hours per week, beginning in July.
Teaching and mentoring students ages 8-18 for the TUTS Summer Musical Theatre Camps
- Daily attendance and sign in for the 15 students per session
- Ensuring the safety and supervision of students, including upholding COVID Safety Plan
- Leading warm-up theatre exercises
- Working closely with the Camp Directors to create a fun and uplifting experience throughout the weeks with emphasis on developing students’ skills
- Instructing and inspiring students on triple threat musical theatre disciplines
- Daily set up of camp areas, including stage, washrooms and pick-up/drop-off area
- Assist in the daily strike and cleaning of all camp areas and surfaces
- Process any last minute camp registrations
- Communication to parents via e-mail or telephone prior to camp starting
- Other duties, as assigned
- At least 1 year of post-secondary training in musical theatre
- At least 3 years of dance training in multiple disciplines
- Previous experience leading a class in dance, voice and/or acting
- Previous experience performing in a musical either on the TUTS stage or other community/professional theatre production
- Familiarity with Excel, Word & WordPress programs
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment*;
- Be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with the relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
* The youth may be more than 30 years of age at the end of employment period as long as the youth was 30 at the beginning of the employment period.
**International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. Youth awaiting a refugee status ruling, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, youth visa or work visa are ineligible. As the objective of the Canada Summer Jobs program is to support youth entering the Canadian labour market, the temporary nature of an international student’s time in Canada does not allow for a long-term connection to the labour Market.
$17.00 per hour
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Kevin Woo – General Manager through our web portal submission form.
Application Deadline: Thursday June 10th, 2021 or until filled.